The Introduction of Bromadiolone

- Feb 17, 2018 -

Bromadiolone is a multi-feed, synthetic, second-generation anti-coagulant rodenticide.

The active ingredient is formulated on a food base, typically cereal, to produce a ready to use bait containing 0.005% w/w bromadiolone.

When compared to other anticoagulant rodenticides, bromadiolone has a good level of activity against the brown rat, and moderate levels of activity against mice.

Bromadiolone is marginally more toxic to non-target 'farmyard' species than difenacoum.

Bromadiolone is a potent poison to all mammal species and it is essential that all baits should be well protected from non-target animals. The best way to achieve this is by placing the baits in an approved bait box.

As with all anticoagulants, accidental poisoning with bromadiolone can be antidoted with vitamin K1


How do anti-coagulant rodenticides Bromadiolone work?

Most of our rodenticides contain either Bromadiolone or Difenacoum, which are anti-coagulants.

These poisons affect the rodents blood clotting response, so after a few days the rodents will die as a result of internal haemorrhaging. The poison effectively thins the blood to the extent that blood seeps internally from tiny blood vessels and organs quickly resulting in heart failure which ultimately kills the rat.

You may know someone who takes minute amounts of prescription warfarin (a first generation rodenticide) in order to thin their blood to help prevent strokes. Stokes are caused by thick blood clotting and stopping the flow of blood to vital areas like the brain. Often people under this medication can bruise very easily and this is because the tiny blood veins next to their skin break easily when damaged and blood seeps from the veins causing the bruising. These people are completely unaware of this process in their bodies in exactly the same way as the rodent is completely unaware of the process in action.

The rodents feel fine, suffering no pain and therefore they continue to feed as normal, consuming a lethal dose before succumbing to the effects of the poison. This is important, as rats in particular will quickly stop eating anything that they associate with danger. In the latter stages of poisoning, the rodents feel lethargic and tend to stay in their nests, where most of them die. The occasional one may die above ground, and you should always search for bodies whilst you are conducting a poisoning campaign.

Dead rats and mice can be disposed of in your domestic rubbish - unless you are a professional pest controller when they become a controlled waste.


Previous: The Introduction of Dinotefuran Next: Florfenicol VS Chloramphenicol

Related Industry Knowledge

Related Products

  • Plant Growth Regulator Control Overgrowth Mepiquat Chloride PIX
  • Plant Growth Regulator Hormone Diethyl Amimoethyl Hexanote DA-6 98% TC With Wide Application
  • Insecticide Emamectin benzoate 95%TC, 90%TC, 70%TC,5%WDG, 30%WDG
  • Fungicide Azoxystrobin Pesticide 97%TC, 25%SC, 50% WDG
  • Systemic Fungicide Difenoconazole 95%TC, 25%EC,10%WDG,15%WDG
  • Herbicide Halosulfuron Methyl Pesticide 95%TC, 75%WDG, 50%WP